Here’s what Special Olympics BC athletes need to do to safely return to sport when your program is open!
We will be continually updating this website page as the situation evolves and more resources become available.
Last update: November 25, 2020 – please click here for the full update
What sports are open right now?
These sports are available to be offered by Locals around the province, once they receive approval from the SOBC provincial office. (Indoor Club Fit programs are currently paused.)
|Figure skating||Athletics||Club Fit|
|Speed skating||Bocce||Fit Families & Friends|
PILOT PROGRAM LEVEL
Interested Locals can apply to the SOBC provincial office to host a pilot for these sports. (Powerlifting programs are currently paused.)
|Alpine skiing||Basketball||Active Start|
|Cross country skiing||Bowling (5- and 10-pin)||FUNdamentals|
|Floor hockey||Rhythmic gymnastics|
As Locals reopen sports, they will announce what sports will be offered and what their registration process will be.
But please know that things will be different from Local to Local. To run a sport, a Local needs to have access to facilities, enough volunteers, and enough interested athletes. Not every Local will have this right away. Thank you for being patient – everyone is doing the best they can under the circumstances, and wants to have a safe return to sport as soon as possible.
For more information, please click here to find the list of SOBC communities and click on your Local to find the contact information.
Before your first practice:
1. PLEASE COMPLETE THE REQUIRED FORMS
Please save all forms onto your computer before completing them. If you type your information into the form in your web browser, your changes will not be there when you download the form.
- 2020-21 SOBC Athlete Registration and Medical Form
- 2020-21 SOBC Participant Waiver
- Athlete Program Participation Agreement (November 20, 2020)
The Athlete Program Participation Agreement now says everyone must wear masks in all indoor programs (except swimming). If you have already completed this form, you don’t have to do it again. This change was made because of the Provincial Health Officer’s order to everyone to wear masks in all indoor public spaces.
- COVID-19 Declaration
Please note: If you have already completed the Registration Form and Participant Waiver as part of your Local’s registration process, you are all set! You do not have to complete those forms a second time.
2. PLEASE WATCH THESE VIDEOS
- Physical Distancing
- Proper Hand Washing
- Wearing masks is now an expectation of all participants in all indoor programs (except swimming), because of the Provincial Health Officer’s guidance. Any participants who need to apply for an exemption for medical reasons are asked to contact SOBC staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is a video to help explain how to wear a mask: Wearing a Non-Medical Mask or Face Covering
Before each practice:
If you have ANY symptoms of COVID-19, stay home.
At each practice:
- Complete a health screening to make sure you don’t have symptoms.
- Follow the hygiene requirements in the Participation Agreement.
- Follow the physical distancing and behaviour requirements in the Participation Agreement, Program Protocol, and Sport-Specific Protocols – your coaches will explain everything!
Please click here to find the full SOBC Return to Sport Plan and all current updates.
PROVINCE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA INFO
To stay healthy at home and ready for your sport’s return:
- You can work on sport training at home with SOBC’s Basic Sport Skills instructions – please click here to find PDFs and videos!
- You can click here to find SOBC’s calendars with daily at-home workouts and wellness challenges, as well as more resources for mental and physical health.
- Or check here to find more SOBC resources for staying healthy at home.